This summer marks not only the 15th International Architecture Exhibition in Venice but the 60th anniversary of the Finnish pavilion. The pavilion was designed by Alvar Aalto in 1955–56 with the intention that it could be dismantled and stored away in-between the biennales. Because of some mishaps during the construction of the prefabricated wooden wall and roof units, this idea never realised.
By courtesy of the Museum of Finnish Architecture and the Alvar Aalto Foundation, please enjoy a moment with our little gallery of historical drawings and photographs of the pavilion.
For further information and historical details about the pavilion, please take a look at the wonderful book “Alvar Aalto: The Finnish pavilion at the Venice Biennale” edited by Timo Keinänen (Electa, 1990).